A Helping Hand

Today, instead of pottering around in the garden and generally avoiding doing any real work as I had planned, I instead got up at crack of sparrow and drove to Wolverhampton.

My addled brain had completely forgotten that this weekend I was meant to be attending a meeting of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club at RAF Cardston. Only a chance remark by the Horse Doctor, along the lines of 'When's that Alfa Romeo thing you were going on about?' reminded me yesterday evening that I had agreed to go.

I've been a passive member of the club for almost fifteen years now, reading the newsletter and paying my annual sub, but not doing much else due to lack of a working Alfa Romeo with which to do it. Last year's triumph with Julie D and the subsequent purchase of the Batmobile removed that major stumbling block, and I foolishly inquired as to whether I might be able to help with the club in some small non-committal way. Oh foolish me. I should know better. Years ago in Aberdeen I joined CAMRA because it was a good excuse to go to the pub a lot. Within months I was on the committee and I ended up producing the newsletter (the now legendary Woolly Thinking). For my swansong I headed up the organisation of the Great Grampian Beer Festival, which included (among many other onerous tasks) unloading and shifting about two tonnes of scaffolding all on my own.

So I should know better than to stick my head above the parapet.

But I'm a kindly soul. And I like to feel useful. And so as of today I am the official Registrar for the new GT model (hereafter known as the Batomobile). It's not a big task, really. All I have to do is maintain a database of GT owners, act as a hub for information on the model, write monthly articles about it, help out at events, champion the brand...

Oh bugger, what have I let myself in for?

Comments

Sandra Ruttan said…
Crack of sparrow?

Sounds rude.

Popular Posts