Getting hacked off now

With Blogger, that is.

Sure, it's free, so you can't really complain. But lately I've been finding it very difficult to actually access anyone's blogs. Click on my link to Halfhead, and nothing happens for a bit. Then a box pops up and tells me it timed out whilst trying to connect. All of the blogspot blogs are the same, I can't get in.

Oddly enough I can do the posting thing. Well, obviously I can because I'm doing it right now. But quite often I can't get into my own comments to reply to people. I've got the system set up so that I get the comments emailed to me, but that's only half the fun. Yesterday's post alerted me to the fact that Gabriele has tagged me, but I've not been able to get into the Lost Fort for days, so I didn't know anything about it. I still can't get in, so I can't play, which make me look like a curmudgeon (or at least more of a curmudgeon than usual).

It's one of the reasons why I don't regularly visit all the blogs on my blogroll - the other being that I don't allow myself enough time to visit everyone every day (and they don't all post every day anyway), otherwise I'd never get any work done at all. And Sandra, if you want to be tagged - you're it.

So what to do? Well, I could move things over to the DevilDog website and set up my own blog there. Or I could try one of the other blog-providers. Or I could persevere with blogger, since it's free.

But it's damned irritating nonetheless.

Comments

karla said…
Blogger is indeed a big pain in the ass sometimes. I still like it, but it makes me want to stab my computer monitor sometimes. But violence is never the answer; booze usually is.
John Rickards said…
I hate to say it, mate, but it's not Blogger's fault - it's not been happening to me, so it sounds like it's your system. Every once in a while I'll get a DNS error trying to reach a Blogspot blog, but that's about it. Recently, anyway.

Have you tried adding all your Blogger reads to something like Bloglines? It won't help commenting, of course, but it'll mean their system will read blogs so you don't have to... :-)
John Rickards said…
That said, the blog showing "possible feed errors" in my Bloglines at the mo are all *.blogspot ones. Hmm...
Sandra Ruttan said…
The only thing that happens to me is the odd "Forbidden" message that tells me I'm not allowed to look there.

I figure it's when Stuart's changing and try again. Usually comes up fine right away.
Sandra, I get that too, sometimes. I just hit Refresh, and volià, there's the blog I want to see.

I have a pretty fast system and wireless connection, though. Maybe slower connections get stuck long enough to cause trouble.
Sandra Ruttan said…
Gabriele,

You wouldn't be saying anything about men in general when you talk about slower, would you?
JamesO said…
My system's pretty fast, and right now, first thing in the am, I can get in no problems. When America starts to wake up though, it all grinds to a halt.

I've got Thunderbird reading the RSS feeds now, so I can at least see what people are up to. Alternatively I'll just have to try and be more of a morning person.
JamesO said…
And booze is definitely the answer.
Stuart MacBride said…
Yup it happens when I'm changing. Or writing in the nip. Don't want people to get overstimulated now, do we?

Popular Posts