Snff snff

Yesterday evening, when The Horse Doctor got home from work around 5, it was still just about light enough to go for a short walk. She needed a walk to unwind from a stressful day, so we set off with the dogs into the forestry. It was cold, but clear, and the stars started to come out as we made our way home to an already lit fire.

As we arrived at the garden gate, our neighbours were just on there way out. It was obviously some special occasion as they were all dressed up in their glad rags and looking very smart. We made polite conversation over the fence, as is the way of things around here. They left, and we went inside.

About two minutes later I started to sneeze. My nose itched like it was May and eventually I had to dig out the antihistamines. Today it's the same - real hayfever symptoms and complete misery.

So what set this off? I'm not allergic to the animals, we haven't changed our soap powder. The only thing we can think of is next door's perfume. But I didn't even smell it at the time - The Horse Doctor mentioned it later on that evening. And we only spoke to them for thirty seconds, across the fence, outdoors on a cold, windless night.

I do react to artificial scents - deodorants are a particular problem, but I've never been so bad from such a short exposure before. I guess it's because I live somewhere where the air is so clean that my system just can't cope when it comes into contact with any of my favoured allergens.

Here's hoping I don't need to go to the city anytime soon.

Comments

Stuart MacBride said…
Now, you see, if I was a petty, petty person I'd point out the spelling mistake in your post in retaliation for your acronym scrutiny on mine recently.

But I'm bigger than that. Instead I'll just sit back and let you sweat.

REVENGE!!! Bwaahahahahahahahaaaa!
Ych, allergies suck. I have that Birches Attack thingie every spring. But - knock on wood - it's the only one so far.
JamesO said…
Ah yes, the old 'there' 'their' chestnut horse. Never picked up by the spellchecker and so easily missed when your nose is running and your eyes are all blurry.

Popular Posts