Lost days

Traditionally the first of January is a bit of a no-go area. Normally the Horse Doctor, having partaken of too much Hogmanay cheer, doesn't actually surface until the second (except for occasional brief glimpses, twixt bedroom and bathroom, with accompanying gurgly noises), and I tend to wander around half-dead and wondering why I can't think straight. This year it should be doubly bad, because today's Sunday.

But all this week we've been looking after a neighbour's shetland pony, which is recovering from a bout of laminitis. This involves a short but brisk walk, including a river crossing and a steep climb up to our neighbour's house. Dougal (the pony) gets a feed, with some drugs if he's looking a bit sorry for himself, and then we walk home again. This has to be done reasonably early in the morning (though half past three, when I went to my bed is a bit too early), and then again just before it gets dark.

So, far too soon after my whisky-soaked brain conked out last night, we were up and outdoors in the bracing weather. It's been raining pretty much non-stop all week here (well, it is Wales), and this morning when we forded the Peiran, we nearly lost the dachshund (he's only got little legs), and had to come back the long way. Fresh air and rain in the face is an unorthodox but effective palliative, if not cure, for the new year malady.

But now my brain is starting to slip into half-dead mode. I'm trying to find things to do that won't let me fall asleep - so reading is not an option. Soon it will be time to mount the second Dougal expedition of the day. Then I can light a fire and curl up on the sofa. But for now I've got to fight the drooping eyelids. Do things.

So here's a picture I took in Singapore Botanical Gardens last year:



Comments

Chaser said…
Happy New Year to you and THD!!!
Sandra Ruttan said…
Stave off the slushy brain syndrome by doing some jumping jacks. Or stand on your head for a while.
Stuart MacBride said…
No - that's a daft idea. Stand on someone else's head instead. Much more practical.
Sandra Ruttan said…
But if James could stand on his own head, he'd certainly make the news because he'd be the world's most flexible man.

And that could do wonders for getting him a book deal. All that publicity...
JamesO said…
But would that be 'standing' on my head, or just giving myself a scalp massage with my feet?
Sandra Ruttan said…
As long as you aren't pulling your hair out.
Happy New Year!

And no, I'm not going to tell you how long I slept today. ;-)
ACG said…
Happy New Years!
(and be thankful you don't have mummers over there).
JamesO said…
We do have mummers over here ACG, but by an ancient law dating back to the first millennium you're allowed to slap them about the head with wet fish, so you don't see many of them around these days.
ACG said…
You are so lucky!
My place is just a block from the parade route so I get the noise and then they come hang out on my street and invade my bar.

Popular Posts