Try not to drop anything

I'm plotting a novel at the moment, and lacking John Rickard's fridge, I've been finding it more difficult than I expected. I blame Stuart. He suggested I try my hand at something in the broad brush of the crime genre. I've got my hero protagonist, my villain, my city. I've even got a handful of linked crimes and a suitable McGuffin, but the whole is not gelling properly at the moment. It lacks focus.

Perhaps this is because I've got too many balls in the air. Parts one and two of the Ballad of Sir Benfro need synopses, character studies, background and all the other guff that needs to be put together to entice a publisher. The SF novel needs a rewrite in the light of Phil's comments and then I need to embark on the tawdry process of selling some of this work I have produced over the last three years. Real, paid work seems to be mounting up, which is a good thing in many ways, but means I have to tighten up my time management. And I'm left in a bit of a limbo on the building plot thing whilst I wait for Moc the farmer to confirm that he is definitely going to sell to the higher bidder. Until that last crushing blow is made to my dreams, I can't quite put the house to bed.

What to do first? What to put off for now and come back to later? Decisions, decisions.

Comments

Stuart MacBride said…
I recommend having a bath – on many levels ;}#
John Rickards said…
"Perhaps this is because I've got too many balls in the air."

While it's perfectly natural to indulge in a little 'play' with one's self, too much of such activities can be very distracting and, if severe enough, sore and swollen.
Stuart MacBride said…
There speaks the voice of experience.
JamesO said…
Just as well I didn't say anything about giving 'Head' to agent Phil then.

;}#
Anonymous said…
'Plots' of one kind or another seem to trouble you, James!

Popular Posts