A Few Rules

Call me a sad individual, but I have a few rules that I have developed over the years to help me get along in life, and most of them seem to concern alcohol.

Sometime, many years ago, I came to the conclusion that it was a bad idea, generally speaking, to drink before seven in the evening (at least when at home). Don't ask me where seven came from, I've no idea. But whatever the reason, I began turning down my father's offers if they came before then. Now if you go to my parents house you're unlikely to be offered an evening drink before seven.

I also decided, perhaps after one too many sore heads, that drinking on my own was not a good idea. Having three dogs and a cat for company doesn't count (well not for me. Barbara's been known to have the occasional lone beer, but these are my rules - I don't expect anyone else to follow them). I'll still drink to excess (a rousing toast 'to excess!') when in good company, but waking up in a cold empty living room with a crick in my neck and drool on my shoulder no longer appeals to me.

I also try not to drink on a school night - i.e Sunday night through to Thursday night. This mainly came about due to having limited funds for buying booze, but even now I try to stick to it - not always with great success I have to add. A nip of whisky last thing on Monday and Tuesday nights this week was most welcome. Staying dry five nights out of seven also helps keep the spare tyre in check and means that when I do try to take some exercise I don't spend the first half hour sweating alcohol.

All of which leaves me with something of quandary. Barbara's away until Sunday, so tonight and tomorrow night I am alone. No booze. No Martinis. Just hard tack and briney water.

Bugger.

Comments

Stuart MacBride said…
Go into town, buy beer, get takeaway curry, go home, taunt cat and dogs.

Spend all day tomorrow breaking wind. It's the manly thing to do!
JamesO said…
Have beer in the house. Can make a damn site better Gan Panang than anything Aberystwyth can offer. Will taunt cat and dogs regardless. Still breaking wind from last weeks run-in with the seafood Milange.

It's a battle of wills and one of us has to lose.

Oh, hang on. There's only me here.

Popular Posts