You learn the strangest things

When doing research.

For instance, one of the characters in Benfro book three discovers she has fallen pregnant* at the beginning of the book, and suffers from bad morning sickness.

Now, being a bloke, I've never suffered from this particular malady myself. And since I have no children of my own, I've never even observed the symptoms closely in another person. So my only recourse for information is to look to that wonderful encyclopaedia of half-truths, the interweb.

And there's so much information out there you could drown in it. In particular, endless suggestions for remedies. I was vaguely aware of raspberry leaf tea (which my sister in law tells me is quite foul), and ginger seems to be a universal anti-emetic (though even the smell of it makes my sister as ill as she ever was carrying her three children), but there are other more creative remedies. This one was particularly good:

To avoid actually vomiting, try grasping your tongue with a piece of cloth and pulling gently but firmly.

Sounds good, but also a recipe for getting vomit all over your clothes. Then there was this:

Place a cool lavender scented compress on your forehead and a warm lavender compress over your rib cage.


Which is really just another way of saying have a bit of a lie down, only with calming smells. Some people find lavender makes them sick anyway, and The Horse Doctor insists on growing it in vast quantities, so perhaps there's something she's not telling me. On the other hand, she's been growing it for years now, and we've still only got three dogs and a cat.

But I think my favourite remedy for morning sickness has to be this one:

Give in to your cravings


Simple, really. Even a bloke could master that.

Now back to the dragons (oh, the shame of it.)

* I love the expression 'fall pregnant'. It makes it sound so much like an accident.

Comments

Sandra Ruttan said…
I've never experienced official morning sickness, but I know exactly what it's like.

It happens to me if I wake up to the smell of coffee.

Which is why I married someone who doesn't drink coffee.
JamesO said…
Hmmm. Somehow I don't think that's going to work as a remedy for my chief evil baddy. I guess she'll have to stick to the cravings. But she's one evil bitch, so she'll probably have an insatiable hunger for dogs blood, or fried testicles or something.

Ho hum.
Mindy Tarquini said…
Morning sickness is a misnomer. It's morning, noon and night sickness.
Stuart MacBride said…
With 'falling pregnant' I suppose it's just a question of exactly what it is you’ve fallen on and how long it takes you to get off of it ;}#

Ooh, the smut!
Sandra Ruttan said…
I think you put 'm' in place of 'l' in that post, Stuart.
JamesO said…
They do say that you can fall pregnant from sitting in an armchair recently vacated by a gentleman, though quite what that gentleman's been doing in that chair I wouldn't like to think.
Sandra Ruttan said…
'They' being the blushing virgins who don't even know what a naked man looks like, right?
I've been reading your posts for so long that I've actually forgotten which one first attracted my attention - lol. Thought I'd better say I've enjoyed them so far while I'm thinking of it.

Loved the 'falling pregnant'. *shaking head* Well, several pregnancies ARE indeed accidents, I suppose.

Have a good day. The blog looks great, by the way.
JamesO said…
Hi Lyn, nice to have you aboard. The expression 'fall pregnant' is not one I made up, I should hasten to add. I've heard plenty of women (and men) use it.

And Sandra, those blushing virgins were all schooled by nuns in convents - they know exactly what a naked man looks like;}#

Popular Posts