I think I may have cracked it.

Ouch!

No, not that. The problem I've been having with blogger not letting me in. I use Firefox and I set it up to read the rss feeds from all my favourite blogs (well, both my favourite blogs), to save me the hassle of checking up to see if either of you had posted anything new.

Quite often, when I opened the browser first thing, I noticed that the bookmarked rss* feeds for the blogger sites would just sit there with an annoying 'loading site feeds...' message. And stay that way for long hours. Typepad blogs don't seem to suffer this, and neither do those personal websites with blogs running on them; this is a problem specific to blogger's rss feed system. Whilst Firefox was trying to load the rss feed for a blog, it would always get a timed out message if I tried to navigate to that site any other way. Don't ask me why, it was just something I noticed.

So, acting on a mad hunch, I deleted all the bookmarked feeds a couple of days ago. Almost instantly I was able to access my selected blogspot blogs. Hooray. I've not played much since then, but so far it's looking good. The problem could well be solved, and to be fair to my ISP (who spent quite a lot of time looking into it) it really was nothing to do with them.

I've set up the rss reader in Thunderbird to do my blog reading for me, though still the blogger blogs come through more or less randomly - sometimes nothing appears for days, then a dozen posts pop into my inbox. Still, it's better than nothing.

Of course, this means that my brilliant excuse for never commenting has now evaporated.

Bugger!

In other news, today has been a three thousand word day, which is just as well because Saturday was a dismal eight hundred words, and on Sunday I wrote nothing at all. My agent also informed me today that a publisher has decided to let someone else have a chance to make millions on The Ballad of Sir Benfro. I'll name no names and make no enemies, but it's their loss, I say.

* rss, I'm reliably informed, stands for really simple syndication. Aye, right.

Comments

Sandra Ruttan said…
Ah! Am I one of your two favourite blogs?

Would that make me the yin to Stuart's yang?

Never mind. That question sounds dirtier than I intended.
Sandra Ruttan said…
Or I'm not one of your favourite blogs and you just do a sympathy stroll.

That's entirely possible.

Now I'm bummed.
JamesO said…
And you'll never know which it is. Ha ha ha!

At least, not until I get my Sandra Ruttan T-Shirt;}#
Chaser said…
Whoa!! Tinkering with blogger AND 3,000 words. *Dude*.
Stuart MacBride said…
I'm no one's favourite blog. But I smell nice.
JamesO said…
I could be all smug and say I wrote another 1200 words after that post, Lisa. But I won't;}#

Popular Posts