Where did the week go?

It's Thursday evening already, and what have I achieved this week? Diddly squat is what.

They say that in order to be a writer, you have to write. In which case at the moment I'm a fraud, masquerading as a writer to try and impress the girls.

Yup, today I'm going to moan about my lack of creative progress, and a wandering tale called The Ballad of Sir Benfro.

Actually, I may have achieved something this week. The first book in the series is called Dreamwalker (that's the one that caught my agent's eye), the second is The Rose Cord (which I have to stop spelling as 'The Rose Chord', it's not about some musical extravaganza, more a piece of red rope). Yesterday as I was jotting around the edges of the story it occurred to me that I could call book three The Golden Cage. I was going to call it The Gilded Cage, but that seems to have been taken by a romance writer by the name of Josephine Cox. I know there's no copyright on titles, but it helps to try and be as distinctive as possible. I'll probably change my mind halfway through writing the damn thing, but at least it's not 'book three' anymore.

My lack of progress seems linked to an inability to focus on any one thing at the moment. I used to be good at multitasking, but as I get older, so they skill seems to be slipping through my fingers. The story for book three The Golden Cage is all but finalised, as is book four (as yet un-named). But I'm having a lot of trouble sorting everything out so that it slots nicely into place. I want to do this before I embark on the actual writing, for a change. Not so much a detailed plot plan as a well-structured timeline. Books one and two were swift to create and slow in the polishing. This time I really want it to be the other way around. But it takes time, and there are endless other demands on that at the moment.

Like blogging.

And databases.

And reading crime novels.

And the big box of comics that just arrived. Hooray!

I had some discipline once. Does anyone know where you can buy it these days? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Comments

Sandra Ruttan said…
Oh, I'm sure someone would crack you with a whip now and again if requested.
If you find a place, tell me. I need some, too.
Stuart MacBride said…
If you're looking for discipline try: this place

Ah the things one learns whilst researching...

Popular Posts