Aching

I went for a run this afternoon, the first time for over a week.

I've been feeling a bit stir-crazy, cooped up in this little room with a big stack of forms to enter into a database.* It's been raining non-stop for several days now, and today was the first dry spell. I don't run when it's raining,** so I took my chance and headed out.

My problem is that I'm not very good at following any structured exercise regime. I head out for the windmills, then come back another way. I know I should spend more time warming up than I do, and I probably shouldn't go quite so far after a week off. But to my somewhat addled logic, to go less far this time than the last is an admission of defeat. I must either go exactly the same distance, or further. And if I go further, then the next time I will have the same decision to make.

In the end I decided to go as far, but no further, and it was just as well. It took me five minutes longer getting back than last week, on top of two minutes longer on the outward leg.*** I felt knackered almost at the beginning and I freely admit to walking for a couple of minutes uphill at one point. Sometimes running the long route back down from the top of the Garn can be strangely pleasurable, especially when the sun's shining but it's not too hot. Today was such a day, with clear views out to the Lleyn Peninsula, but it was pain all the way.

And then, just as I climbed into the shower, having warmed down and done my stretches, the Horse Doctor got home from York, where she's been at a conference these past three days. After a four hour drive, she wanted to get some air and suggested a stroll with the Dachshund.**** Whilst the extra hour may have been good for my tired legs, they are now very sore and achy indeed.

It remains to be seen whether I will be capable of walking tomorrow.

* a database which I built - never thought I'd end up filling the little bugger too. The joy of fee-paid work.
** not because I'm a fair-weather runner or anything, just that my glasses get all fogged up and I can't see where I'm going. I run over uneven ground, in the hills, far away from medical intervention, so this is important.
***it's a shorter distance, but it's uphill all the way.
****Chiswick and Mort are excused strolling due to age and arthritis. Taking just one dog for a walk still feels wrong.

Comments

Sandra Ruttan said…
I'm tired and sore just reading this!
JamesO said…
So imagine how I feel.

No, on second thoughts don't - Boy Kim might get the wrong idea;}#
Sandra Ruttan said…
And he lives pretty close to you, so we don't want him imagining how you feel. That might lead... well, never mind.

Popular Posts