Stories

Call it homage, plagiarism, flattery or just plain theft, but I've enjoyed the latest round of stories whipped up in response to the White and Quertermous twins so much I've been moved to have a go myself.

What, you say, they didn't ask you in the first place? Well, no, I wouldn't have expected them to. After all, I'm new to the blogiverse and known only as a hack writer of dubious SF and Fantasy (and I use the word 'known' there in its loosest possible sense).

For the last couple of weeks I've been kicking around a number of unrelated ideas with the view of forcing them into some uneasy kind of short story compromise. What I lacked was a hook upon which to hang them all. I've been trying to reinvent a character and setting I created for a graphic novel too many years ago to admit. It's not been going too smoothly, mainly due to distractions like work and failing to build a house - little things that really shouldn't matter.

Yesterday morning, in a more productive distraction, I read Stuart's, Jen's, John's and Ray's contributions, and left sarky comments at all of them. Yesterday afternoon, in the middle of coughing up the lining of my lungs as I tried to run five miles up a hill, it suddenly occurred to me that the whole police auction thing was the hook I had been looking for. It's strange where inspiration hits.

So I'm going to write a short story. Nobody's asked me to, but I'm going to anyway. It will be posted here (or a link to it) soon.

Now where did I put John's wonderful example of how to do crime fiction...

Comments

Ray Banks said…
They didn't ask you?

Consider the pair of them slapped. Actually, I'll headbutt Bryon - he gets all sweaty at the thought of an open hand.
John Rickards said…
Just make sure he doesn't take the opportunity to plant a quick kiss on your forehead as you lean back to strike. He's a tricksy one, that Bryon.

Popular Posts