And I'm all alone again*

Barbara left for Bristol airport at nine this morning. She's off to Dublin for a conference, then on to Glasgow for a follow-on conference and finally Edinburgh for meetings. She won't be back for a fortnight.

Two weeks. Blimey. I don't think we've been apart for that long in a decade. There have been times when we've only seen each other at the weekends - when I spent three months running the farm after my dad had his hip operation for example. Even when I was down in Cardiff doing Foot and Mouth stuff I generally managed to get back home for two days in every fortnight. But this is two weeks straight through.

Two weeks of having to cook and clean. Two weeks of keeping the house tidy and trying to win the endless war with the spiders. Two weeks of doing the washing up.

So no change there, then.

Two weeks without beer!

On the plus side - who knows how much writing I can get done with no other distractions than three dogs demanding food and strolls?

* - it's s line from a Paul Weller song I heard many years ago and haven't found on any of his albums. If anyone knows where it comes from, please let me know.


Comments

Maybe you can distract the spiders by making them read this blog. :)
John Rickards said…
Google informs me that neither Paul Weller nor The Jam have ever had a song with that line in. Is it possible you have them confused, or that the line is different?

Top candidates for the alternative would be Joe Walsh - "Rosewood Bitters" - here or, less likely, Counting Crows - "Not Sleeping Anymore" - here.

Some guy called Jason Mraz is the one who crops up most, though.

Unless it's the Hoff you're thinking of. He comes up a couple of times as well...
JamesO said…
Could it really be the Hoff? Surely not.

No, I heard just a snippet of the song on the radio, a very long time ago. And because of the strange way my brain is wired, it won't go away. I'm sure that was the line, and it was the end of a verse then it went into some twiddly guitar stuff. And I'm fairly sure that it was Paul Weller - he's got a distinctive enough sound. But Rosewood Bitters works lyric-wise, so maybe it was a cover - only I can't find any mention of PW covering anything by Joe Walsh. I guess I'll have to take a trip down to the old record shop, see if they've got a copy I can listen to.

But thanks for the detective work. One day I'll find the song, listen to it from start to finish and lay the demon to rest. Until then, a small part of my brain is stuck on a loop.

Popular Posts