Comforting things

There's not much that's more comforting than making bread; bringing together the simplest of ingredients into something tasty and wholesome. I particularly like sourdough breads, made with a natural yeast culture from leaving a little flour and water paste on the windowsill awhile. I had a really good culture going for a while, but one morning I stupidly put the whole lot into the dough mix, forgetting to reserve some for the next batch. Duh!

I've been meaning to make more bread for ages now, but never seemed to get around to it - something to do with the week it takes to get that starter culture going, perhaps. Or maybe I've just been too busy and preoccupied to remember the therapeutic value of kneading.

Whatever the reason, I've started making bread again. Long may this culture last.



Next time: The Perils of Cheese.

Comments

Stuart MacBride said…
No, not the CHEESE!

I still have nightmares from last time - and that was just from looking at it!
Anonymous said…
Mmmm..makes me hungry just looking at it! Did you really make that?? You are wasting your talents. You could be a master baker and cheese maker! Or run wine tasting progarammes! You see, I am full of really good ideas.
JamesO said…
It tastes pretty good too, though I say so myself. But if you think that's good, you should try my chocolate brownies.
That looks so awesome. And I LOVE cheese!!
Stuart MacBride said…
I love cheese too, just not the way James makes it. *Shudder*

Popular Posts