Moist

Apropos of nothing, it occurred to me as I was perusing a catalogue of running shoes and clothing,* that GoreTex has a truly dangerous potential.

All these clothes boast about their advanced wicking properties, how they move moisture away from the body and out into the surrounding environment. It's damned clever stuff, but what if someone at the factory made a mistake and they put the material in the wrong way around?

Imagine it. Your sweat would build up, unable to escape the magical confines. And here in humid Wales the atmospheric dampness would be wicked into the clothing, rather than out. If it was a well-made garment, with a
waterproof zip, a tight waistband and hood, you might conceivably drown in your own body juices. Or at least go all wrinkly and unpleasant like some month old corpse dredged from the canal.

I think the public should be informed about this hidden danger.

* I know, it's sad. But I have to get some new running shorts. My old ones are giving me serious nappy rash.

Comments

Popular Posts