Late again

So sue me, I've been busy. Bored, but busy.

Today has been mainly data entry. The job I hate almost the most, and the one that keeps on coming back. This time there was a bit of an urgent deadline (isn't there always?), so I had to drop everything else and crack on with the mindless repetition of Latin names for plants. I still reckon Deschampsia cespitosa is something that only grows in very fertile soil.

Perhaps the only good thing about data entry work is that it allows me to let my mind wander. I've been stuck on a particular plot element for Benfro book three for a while now, and today I think I finally got it worked out.

And I got a very encouraging email from my agent today. Not news of impending publishing deals, sadly, but she's finished reading Benfro book two and thinks it is very good. OK, she had a few reservations, particularly the amount of time Benfro spends wandering through woods and climbing up and down mountains, but these can be trimmed (even more than I've already done - will there be anything left?)

Mr Stuart will be pleased to know that my agent also instantly saw the parallels between one of the supporting characters and a certain pointy-eared miniature Jedi. That's the problem with any master/apprentice relationship these days - film references (intentional or not) get picked up so much more quickly. I am now contemplating dispensing with that character altogether, but that makes for a major rewrite. Something to note in the 'things to do with book two' file and forget about for now.

I was going to post a pithy and insightful essay into the pitfalls of metaphor and simile in fantasy fiction, but right now my brain is full of flowers and weeds, so I'll leave that for another day. Instead I think I'll just have to sit down with a book and vegetate for awhile.

In the meantime, here's a pretty picture:

Definitely not Deschampsia cespitosa

Comments

Sandra Ruttan said…
Like I said yesterday, have your lawyer call mine.

Visit the Mystery Circus and hear about my real legal situation - Fucking Legal Nightmare.

And quit screwing around so the verification is mean to me! I thought there were only 26 letters in the alphabet...

Popular Posts