It's gone very quite around here

Or maybe I'm imagining things.

My ISP finally installed a semi-decent spam filter system, so I've been able to screen out the offers for various cheap software, replica watches, unmissable employment opportunities, anatomical enhancements, miracle pills and willing sexual partners in the Harrow area that used to ping into my inbox every five minutes. But the system either won't let me dump all this nonsense into a 'trash' folder for later checking, or I haven't yet worked out how to make it do that. So everything gets discarded, disappearing into the vastness of the Interwub.

Who knows where these messages turn up? Is there some cyber-equivalent of a lonely island in the middle of an ocean of bytes, where a shipwrecked code-monkey whiles away his days talking to a coconut he's fashioned into a crude representation of a PDA? Do all the spurned spam emails get banished to a sort of electronic hell, there to languish unloved and unlamented? Or do they just fizzle away, succumbing like the rest of us to entropy's cool embrace? And is it time to walk away from the computer for awhile, before the pixel-insects invade my brain and reduce it to a dribbling mess?

Whatever the reason, my inbox is sadly depleted. A fact not helped by my ISP going off-line for half of yesterday. I'm sure that no-one really did try to contact me in that time,* but the doubt lingers. Have I done something to offend people? Am I really that unloved? Or is an overzealous electronic angel trying to shelter me from all the terrible things out there?

* Don't worry, Sandra, SC arrived yesterday evening, thanks, and I'll get back to you soon.

Comments

Sandra Ruttan said…
Thanks. Computer glitches are such a pain. I'm addicted to the internet!
Stuart MacBride said…
Maybe you had something stinky for tea?

Popular Posts