Strangely soothing

Brain's not working properly today - I don't know why. It's not as bad as yesterday morning; then I switched off the alarm at seven in the morning, convinced it was Sunday. Barbara was not too pleased about being late for work.

Today it's just hard to focus on any one thing. Perhaps it's a touch of SAD - we've had endless days of rain and darkness only just now lifting. Or maybe it's options paralysis. There's so many things I have to do, each of them equally unedifying, that I really can't make up my mind which to do first. So instead I do nothing, quivering in a state of terrible indecision.

One thing I did decide on was to listen to an album from start to finish. Final Straw, by those excellent Scottish Rockers, Snow Patrol, as it happens, though it could have been anything.

Normally, I listen to the complete contents of my itunes music library on random play. You never know what you're going to get. One minute it's Tom Waits looking for the heart of Saturday night, then next it's Placebo worrying about their taste in men or Jennifer and Hazel Wrigley reeling the Stronsay Waltz. Rarely do two tunes by the same artist come back to back (though it does happen - especially weird when it's a live version then a studio version of the same song).

But today I needed something different, so I turned off the random button and pointed at just one album. Then I turned the volume up.

And it's very weird listening to the same voice go through several different songs, one after another. But strangely soothing too.

I must do it more often. Just as long as the neighbours don't complain. But then they're only sheep so what do I care?

Comments

I'm really affected by music. Always have been. The right sad song will have be sobbing in no time. I have to be careful what I listen to, because sometime I can get into a funk and it's hard to get out. I've felt sad lately too :(

Popular Posts