Pulling teeth

I've started writing another Inspector McLean mystery short. Call it an excuse not to get back into the deep fantasy. For some reason I can't face the world of Benfro right now. If truth be told, I've done very little by way of creative work since getting back from New Zealand in October. I'd say work was getting in the way but that would be a lie. I've been getting in the way, falling into my old and indolent ways.

Whatever the reason for my inactivity, I've reached that point where I really have to get to grips with it and start doing things. A couple of emails from Mr Stuart over the last few days has helped to give me a metaphorical kick up the arse, and his twelve days of Christmas thing is like a big 'loser' sign hanging round my neck.

So last night I dug out some notes and ideas I'd cobbled together a few months ago and started typing. It was like pulling teeth. I knew what I wanted to do with the story, but I just couldn't get into the flow. I managed about a page of A4 single-spaced before admitting defeat and reading a book instead.

Today I've managed a bit more, but it's a far cry from the last shorty, which I wrote in a day. I can't promise that you'll learn the secret of Job the tramp before Christmas, but I'll try.

And by a curious coincidence, I have to go to the dentist tomorrow morning to have a filling. Yummy dribbling out the side of my mouth time. Hooray.

Comments

Stuart MacBride said…
But people won't be able to tell, because of the beard. All purpose dribble soaker upper.

Or so I'm told, not being dribbly myself...

Popular Posts