Almost there

Yesterday afternoon I took the Alfa to Capel Seion to have an MOT test. To those of you unfamiliar with the British Ministry of Transport (now the Department for Transport, as if it mattered), the MOT test is an annual health check for your car, to decide whether or not it can be allowed on the road. Without a valid MOT you can't get a road licence. The Alfa's not been on the road in about fifteen years, so it was a bit a nerve-wracking time.

Sadly it failed, but only on some minor points I should be able to fix this weekend. Then back to the garage for a free recheck and we're off to the races (or Scotland, which is the next best thing).

On the positive side, though, due to an interesting loophole in the UK law, you can drive an unlicensed car to and from a pre-booked MOT test, as long as you've got insurance. Capel Seion is about twelve miles from here and yesterday afternoon was blazing hot sunshine. It was the first time I had driven the car properly since I bought it as a wreck for restoration, many, many years ago. And it was a blast. It's nearly forty years old and it goes like a rocket. Even the MOT failure couldn't dampen the great big smile on my face.

Tomorrow I'm going to get filthy tightening bits, fettling other bits and generally sorting out all the niggly little faults I should have sorted out before the test. Sunday will be a difficult day. And on Monday the Alfa will finally have its licence.

And because it's so old, I won't have to pay a penny!

Comments

Stuart MacBride said…
fettling is always fun

Popular Posts