Smooth

Today I have been mostly re-installing programmes onto my laptop after a hard drive re-format.

The laptop's been acting up for a while now, taking forever to shut down, running very slowly and occasionally throwing tantrums. The final straw came yesterday when my server emulation software failed to run, just as I was hit with a tight deadline for a bit of web development.

Enough! I cried. I will brook this behaviour no more! I backed everything I could find onto a couple of DVDs, moved all my songs onto an external hard drive and re-installed WinXP Pro with a full disc re-format to boot.

It's taken all day, such is the wonder of computers. But now everything is going smoothly. The only hitch was that the backup of Firefox somehow failed to include all my saved passwords. That's all right though, I've got them written down somewhere. I think.

For a short while I can enjoy the pleasant sensation of a machine that works well. All too soon it will get bogged down with all that accumulated crap again.

Ah well, then I can just wipe it clean and start over.

Comments

Sandra Ruttan said…
You only think things are going smoothly.

But I suspect by this time next week, there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. In fact, I have a pretty good idea of what the future holds...
JamesO said…
Why Sandra, what could you possibly mean?
Sandra Ruttan said…
If I told you it wouldn't be a surprise.

Popular Posts