Oww

With two doubleyous.

I went for a run yesterday evening; the first time since before the Denmark trip.

It was about five o'clock, a gloriously sunny October evening of the sort we never, ever get in mid Wales. The Horse Doctor had just rung to say she was leaving Cambridge, which meant she wouldn't be home until after nine. I'd spent the day staring forlornly at the computer and at my virginal whiteboard, trying to get my head into an entirely different kind of writing mode. No more fantasy for now; it's time for some gritty crime with an edge of the paranormal - dark evil stalking the streets of Edinburgh. But first I needed to get the dragons out of my head.

So I went for a run. It wasn't a long run, not by the standards of the spring and summer. Two miles uphill, two miles down. It took five minutes longer than the last time I did it. And today I am stiff in all the wrong places. My legs ached all night, making sleep difficult, but not as much as the thunderstorm that rolled around the valley for about two hours, culminating in a final loud bang that rattled the whole house. So I'm tired too.

Something must have worked, though. Today has been much more productive. My whiteboard sports a growing number of circles and lines, in three different colours no less. A few more days of bashing my head against the walls to try and loosen some ideas, and I'll be almost ready to start writing.

But my legs still hurt. Ah well, I'll just have to go for another run tomorrow. That or use the exercise bike.

Comments

Daniel Hatadi said…
If you are going to use the exercise bike, I highly recommend getting hold of some Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, or failing that, good old James Brown.

It helps, truly.
JamesO said…
Thanks for the tip, Daniel. The bike's hooked up to a PC and has virtual reality races and stuff, which helps to while away the torture, but good tunes blot out the sound of laboured breathing.

Popular Posts