Looking for something to do

I stumbled upon a meme that's doing the rounds. Some people say it originated over at Laura Lippman's The Memory Project, but I've seen it pop up in a few other places and thought I'd give it a go.


1. Have you ever been searched by the cops?

No - but since moving to Wales I've been breathalysed three times. Never before in fifteen years of driving. I didn't register on the machine once.

2. Do you close your eyes on roller coasters?

I've never been on a roller coaster, but I imagine if someone managed to get me onto one, I'd keep my eyes closed. Life's scary enough as it is.

3. When’s the last time you’ve been sledding?

If you include sliding backwards down a snow-covered slope on your arse, then about five years ago, in Fife.

4. Would you rather sleep with someone else, or alone?

Depends on whether they snore or not, and hog the duvet.

5. Do you believe in ghosts?

I don't believe in anything. Give me facts, baby. But if they do exist, that would be kind of cool.

6. Do you consider yourself creative?

I don't know. I try. I'm certainly not procreative.

7. Do you think O.J. killed his wife?

Who's O.J?

8. Jennifer Aniston or Angelina Jolie?

Kate Beckinsale

9. Do you stay friends with your ex’s?

I have done so far. Recently caught up with one I'd not seen for fifteen years.

10. Do you know how to play poker?

Nope. I don't understand card games. Can't even manage Old Maid.

11. Have you ever been awake for 48 hours straight?

I think so, though some of the things I saw towards the end of it had the distinct quality of dreams.

12. What’s your favourite commercial?

The Irn Bru one where the old lady ram-raids the supermarket with her electric wheelchair. Real class from Glasgow.

13. What are you allergic to?

Mushrooms. People ask me if I'm allergic to any specific kind. Like I'm going to experiment to find out.

14. If you’re driving in the middle of the night, and no one is around do you run red lights?

In a county with one policeman per hundred square miles? Hell yes.

15. Do you have a secret that no one knows but you?

I can't remember.

16. Boston Red Sox or New York Yankees?

Does it make any difference?

17. Have you ever been Ice Skating?

Not for too long. When I was a kid there was a huge lake near where we lived, which would occasionally freeze over in the winter. It was terrifying, but exhilirating, skating over the frozen rippled surface, listening all the time for that horrible cracking sound.

18. How often do you remember your dreams?

Most mornings, but they tend to fade after a while. Sometimes I find myself unable to distinguish between dreams and reality - I've made a fool of myself acting on information that came from dreams, believing it to be true.

19. When was the last time you laughed so hard you cried?

I had a weird hysterical fit back in '99 when I was working in a call centre for a mortgage company. One of my colleagues said something funny and we both started laughing - nothing unusual there, we were a riotous crowd. But I couldn't stop laughing, even after it stopped being funny and started hurting. I had to turn off my phone and go outside.

20. Can you name 5 songs by The Beatles?

If you really want me to. O.K. sarcastic answer. Helter Skelter, Blackbird, Yesterday, Lady Madonna, For the Benefit of Mr Kite.

21. What’s the one thing on your mind now?

Getting to the end of this meme

22. Do you know who Ghetto-ass Barbie is?

No, but I can guess.

23. Do you always wear your seat belt?

In the car, yes. Actually, JulieD doesn't have seat belts, so no. Not always. But yes when they are available.

24. What cell service do you use?

Cell phones don't work around here.

25. Do you like Sushi?

Yes. I used to make my own, too, but it's hard getting really fresh fish in Aberystwyth.

26. Have you ever narrowly avoided a fatal accident?

How would I know? I fell off a cliff once, and could have snapped my neck, but fortunately my cousin broke my fall.

27. What do you wear to bed?

Boxer shorts. Unless it's really hot, then I'll have a cold shower and climb between the sheets fresh and naked.

28. Been caught stealing?

By a shopkeeper or officer of the law? No. By my mum, taking sweets from the 'magic box' (as it was known when I was a kid)? Yes.

29. What shoe size do you have?

Oddly enough, for years I was a size nine, but the last pair of boots I bought, which fit perfectly, claim to be a size eight (these are UK sizes, btw).

30. Do you truly hate anyone?

No.

31. Classic Rock or Rap?

Never could understand Rap. And I don't just mean because they talk too fast and with a funny accent. It's performance poetry with attitude, but it's still performance poetry.

32. If you could sleep with one famous person, who would it be?

Myself.

33. Favourite Song?

Varies. Sometimes 'Skipping' by The Associates. Sometimes 'Spinning Away' by Brian Eno and John Cale. Today it was 'Just Like Betty Page' by the Jazz Butcher.

34. Have you ever sang in front of the mirror?

Odd mix of tenses there. No.

35. What food do you find disgusting?

Fast food.

36. Do you sing in the shower?

Not since the unfortunate choking on shampoo incident.

37. Did you ever play, “I’ll show you mine, if you show me yours”?

With conkers, yes.

38. Have you ever made fun of your friends behind their back?

Probably.

39. Have you ever stood up for someone you hardly knew?

Yes, and it was really embarrassing being told to fuck off and mind my own business by them.

40. Have you ever been punched in the face?

Twice that I remember. Once on the rugby pitch by someone who I thought was a friend, but who was on the other team at the time. Once by an odd fellow at school who wanted to know what it felt like to punch someone in the face. I was the unfortunate person who stumbled into his experimentation.


Comments

Sandra Ruttan said…
"I don't believe in anything. Give me facts, baby. But if they do exist, that would be kind of cool."

This, coming from a fantasy writer. LOL!
JamesO said…
Ah, but us fantasy hacks are the most cynical of them all, Sandra. It's not us who believe in fairies and dragons, trolls and elves, but our loyal (and slightly unhinged) fans.

Well, if I had any fans, that is...
Sandra Ruttan said…
Hmmm. And I thought crime writers were jaded.

Popular Posts