Darkness

Having pooh-poohed Sandra's power cut problems yesterday, this evening at around six o'clock all the lights went out here.

I'd already logged off the internet and unplugged everything from the phone lines, it's the first thing I do now when thunder starts to rumble around the valley. Whenever there's a storm, it's always the phone lines that cause all the problems. I've seen blue arc flashing along the wires just down the hills from here every time there's a lightning flash. We're on our third satellite receiver, because Mr Murdoch always insisted on it being plugged into the phone (I don't bother any more, since I owe him nothing), and I've fried two modems too.

The storm didn't amount to anything more than some nice rain that cooled the humid air for a couple of hours. Now it's quarter past eleven and my thermometer tells me it's 24C outside - nice and sticky. The power came back on about an hour ago, but by the magic of laptop batteries and candlepower I've been able to get my 3000 done anyway. There's something delightfully gothic about tapping away at a keyboard whilst the tiny flame flickers its scant illumination on the keys. I can type without looking at them, but for some reason I need the light for reassurance.

The forecast is for more thunder and lightning. Mellt a Tharan as they call it in these parts. So if you don't hear from me for a while you'll know what the problem is.

Comments

Sandra Ruttan said…
You watch! You make fun of the Canadian government spying on me reading John's posts about horsefucking and wait 'til you see what you get tomorrow!

Seriously, we get a lot of thunderstorms in the summer too. Which often results in the power going out in half of our house.
Oh we've had storms up the yin yang. It's been brutal!

Popular Posts