How Much?

My routine has been buggered up a bit, what with driving all over the country for the last five days. I am now home, in Wales, where people say I should be.*

I should have posted yesterday, I know, but the reason why I didn't makes for a handy anecdote. You see, this has been a week of intense arty pretentiousness for me and the Horse Doctor. Not content with crashing the green room at Mr Stuart's big party, we were also invited to the opening night of an exhibition by the soon-to-be-famous photographer Sebastian McBride.

Some people might find it confusing, having one friend called MacBride and another McBride, but being of enormous intellect, I cope. Even when they both have important events occurring in the same week.

Sebastian photographs horses. He used to share an office at the Dick Vet** with the Horse Doctor, back in the days when she was just the Horse Student. He has a PhD in Equine Behaviour, which I suppose makes him a kind of Horse Doctor too. He is also a very gifted photographer, and having recently been declared surplus to the requirements of his employer, he took the plunge and turned pro.

The results are very good indeed - moody photographs of horses in all sorts of interesting situations,*** all presented in splendid, overlarge frames with lots of white border. Mostly black and white, the few colour photos stood out in the exhibition like sunlight piercing the gloom, or something equally arty. The show was on the top floor of the National Library of Wales, which in itself is a fairly prestigious place, being one of the five national book deposits that automatically receives a copy of every book printed in the UK.

It was a good party, too. Unlike Kings College, the library sprung for Canned Apes for us punters. We had to listen to Mr Sebastian tell us a little about himself in his charming Irish brogue, but at least he was concise. Then it was time to wander around the exhibition and goggle at the prices.

Now I like photography. I consider myself to be reasonably talented at it. I've taken a good many pictures of horses over the years, too. It never once occurred to me to blow up some of my pictures to A1 size and ask people to pay £1250 for them. Even the smaller A4 sized things were £450 or £650.

Looks like I'm in the wrong job. Again.


*still not sure if that's a compliment or an insult
** yup, that's what it's called. The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Sciences. Dick Vet to it's friends.
*** but not those ones that might interest Stuart, Sandra or John.

Comments

Sandra Ruttan said…
I'm not interesting in the types of recreational activities with horses that John is. In fact, I had no idea until I started blogging that this...topic was so popular.

The blogs have been very educational. Until then, I thought horse babies were delivered by owls. Which explained perfectly why owls hang out in barns so much.
Geez, and there I post all those pics on my blog for free.

Well, maybe the horses make the difference.

Popular Posts