Nothing to say

I feel I should be making more of an effort to write things here, but I can't think of anything pithy, amusing, whingeing, light-hearted, sentimental or just plain plain. Blame it on the data entry work I'm ploughing through at the moment - it certainly seems to have bludgeoned my muse into submission.

I started planning a short story late last week and since then I've written the square root of diddly-squat. It's festering there somewhere, in the back of my mind, and sometime soon it will force it's way out through my taxonomy-strained fingers and into the wider world. But the great novel plan seems further away than ever.

There's something about the way my mind works (or doesn't work, depending on your point of view) that makes it very hard for me to concentrate on the here and now when there's something new and exciting on the horizon. Thus the trip to Oz an NZ lurks like a pirate ship in the ocean of my attention. Just when I think I might be getting somewhere, it appears from the fog, skull and crossbones fluttering in the breeze and cries of 'avast, ye salty sea dogs, ha harr' or somesuch filling the air. Distracted, I can only sink to the bottom of the sea, where my creativity can feed the fishes until nothing but my pale white bones remain.

Or something.

Maybe it's a summer thing. I can't bear to be cooped up whilst outside it is sunny and warm. We only get two or three days of summer in Wales, so it seems a crime to waste it in front of a computer screen.

Or maybe I'm just an incredibly lazy bastard who can't be arsed engaging his brain for the amount of time it takes to get the words flowing again. That could be it.

I went for a run yesterday - the first time in about a month. This could be the new leaf, turned over and exposing its soft underparts to the harsh scrutiny of the world.

What do you think?

Comments

Stuart MacBride said…
What do I think? I think: ‘yes’.

On a less-related note, you should be receiving a package for the antipodes any day now. Just make sure you bring back a nice Morton Bay Bug for me, OK? And some nice wine... Mmmmmmmm, Australian wine...
JamesO said…
Bringing back a Morton Bay bug might be tricky, what with our incredibly effective border controls and all. Plus by the time I've been in Singapore for a couple of days and spent another couple on aeroplanes, it might be a bit whiffy. Better perhaps I eat the bug myself and just bring you some wine.
Stuart MacBride said…
I suppose that would be more practical...
It's tricky coming up with witty things to say every day on a blog. I agree with you about not wanting to be cooped up inside on summer days. But for the most part the summer has been really hot and humid here, so I haven't enjoyed it. It's just now starting to cool down and be bearable.

Popular Posts