Bellissima times two

Following on from the fiasco that was Barbara's birthday present, two days after DHL delivered the replacement ice cream maker, the first one has turned up.

The box looks like a family of cats have been using it for a toilet this last month, and it was all wrapped up with sticky tape to stop it disintegrating completely, but within, the machine itself is fine. Last night I made chilli ice cream in it, which wasn't as spicy hot as I had hoped but tasty nonetheless.

Now, if I was an honest person, I would get in touch with the couriers and the shop I bought the machine from to let them know of the mistake. It's not as if I need two ice cream makers, after all. On the other hand, DHL never bothered to tell me that they had lost my package in the first place, and I had to contact the vendor four times before they sent out a replacement. So I'm going to box it up, stick it in the corner and wait to see what happens. If they come asking for it, I'll happily give it to them, but if I've not heard anything by December, then someone's going to get a very nice Christmas present.

Chilli Ice Cream:

300ml double cream
150ml milk
3 egg yolks
1 heaped teaspoon cornflour
45g caster sugar
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 serrano chilli, deseeded and finely chopped

Mix the milk and cream and heat to just below boiling. Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a bowl, making sure there are no lumps. Slowly pour in the hot milk/cream, mixing thoroughly. Return to the saucepan and heat gently until the custard has thickened (dip a spoon in the mix and then run a finger over the back of the spoon. If the custard doesn't flow back into the line made by your finger, it's ready. And you can lick your finger too). Add the lemon zest and set the custard aside to cool.

Once cooled, add the chilli. If you have an ice cream maker, follow the instructions. Otherwise, freeze the custard until ice crystals begin to form around the side of the container. Take it out of the freezer and beat it with a fork. Freeze for another hour and beat again. Freeze again until ready.

This ice cream is best served with a simple chocolate sauce. Melt 120g of darkest dark chocolate (85% cocoa solids if you can get it, certainly don't bother with anything less than 70%), with 30g of butter. Pour the hot sauce over the ice cream.

This recipe comes to you courtesy of Rose Prince.

Comments

Stuart MacBride said…
I'm putting down for first dibbs, OK?

Popular Posts