Some things are just too weird

Now, I wouldn't want you to think that I'd been googling my own name or anything. But I did, by a random process of meanderings, come across this really rather strange site:

http://healthingerman.blogspot.com/2007/10/halfhead-selbstmord-ist-schmerzhaft.html

As far as I can work out, it's a site dedicated to the selling of cheap prescription drugs, although I'm not sure who the intended audience is. What drew it to my attention was a quick look at Technorati to see who was mentioning this blog in their postings. This one appears to be a German translation of one of Mr Stuart's earlier meanderings in which he very kindly mentioned me. Whoever has gone to the trouble of translating it has also kept all the links. Most of the other posts seem to be straight ads, so I can't quite work out why this page has been translated. Weird.

For extra fun, try getting babelfish to translate the page.

I tried to kill me the weekend. Not coincidentally either - this was leaving not a sort of ' the gas on then attempt, the flaming squirrels jongliert ' thing, was intentional it.

I think it makes more sense than the first time around.

Comments

Yikes, that's one very bad Babelfish translation. And yes, the rest of the site sells meds.

I've come across something like that before. I suppose it's a trick to advertise some muck: take a blogpost and run it through a translator, disguise it as service for the non-English speaking reader, and voilà, someone will click on your site. I wonder why it's obviously only one post here; the other case 'translated' most of the blog.
Anonymous said…
I have a feeling that a lot of the things Stuart says would make more sense after being translated into another language, then run through babelfish. Scary isn't it?
Norby, the German 'translation' is a Babelfish product as well.
JamesO said…
Ah, so that would be like the old Philip K Dick novel (someone with a better memory than me will no doubt tell me which one) where they play a game of guess the original quotation after it's been bounced back and forth through a few machine translation devices. Endless fun for all the family.

I hadn't realised the German was a Babelfish product, though I guess that makes sense. My conversational German gets me about as far as ordering a beer;}#
JamesO said…
And that's with a lot of pointing and miming, too.
Anonymous said…
So then maybe it should be Babblefish?

I just know that some of my Spanish classmates used it for our writing assignments. The wimps.

Popular Posts