Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Milestone

Unnoticed, unloved and unremarked, my blog had its 20,000th hit last week.

Now for some, that's probably no big deal. Warren Ellis probably gets that many before breakfast on a slow day, but then he is internet Jesus. Scott Adams probably counts his hits in blocks of 20,000 just to make life easier.

But for me, tapping out a few random thoughts and ideas here on a more or less haphazard basis, it's quite a feat. Of course, it could just be that twenty thousand people have stumbled across this place by mistake and beat a hasty retreat. But I like to think at least one or two of you came here on purpose - you mad, romantic fools.

So who was that mysterious 20,000th visitor? Well, frankly I've no idea. They arrived at 14:39 and 20 seconds on Thursday 16th, having been directed here from a google search for ' "eaten mess" recipe '. This post came up fourth in the list of results for that search, so there's obviously not a lot of people out there who know how to smash up meringues and mix them with whipped cream and raspberries for a tasty and nutritious pudding. They stayed for an impressive 0 seconds and can be identified as '
user-5af0528a.wfd98.dsl.pol.co.uk', which I think is less personal than 'Keith' or 'Steve' or even 'Marion.'

I do know that Frank or Jolien or Mabel is a Mac user, with Safari 1.2 running on Mac OS X and a screen resolution of 1024x768. I know that they are based in the UK, or at least that their ISP -
Cable & Wireless Telecommunication Services Gmbh - is, even if its soubriquet suggests something more Germanic. But apart from those bare and perhaps even brutal statistics, I know nothing of them at all.

Which is a shame, because I might have sent them a prize.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Stuart MacBride said...

Congratulations James. Now you should start selling DevilDog T-shirts.

August 22, 2007 10:43 am  
Blogger JamesO said...

I would love to sell DevilDog T-shirts, but I don't think I could afford to pay the graphic designer who came up with the logo;}#

August 22, 2007 5:01 pm  
Blogger Stuart MacBride said...

I'm sure a couple of bottles of Welsh whisky would oil the wheels...

August 23, 2007 8:34 am  
Blogger JamesO said...

What? A couple more bottles?

August 23, 2007 10:01 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home










Handwash only