Milestone

Unnoticed, unloved and unremarked, my blog had its 20,000th hit last week.

Now for some, that's probably no big deal. Warren Ellis probably gets that many before breakfast on a slow day, but then he is internet Jesus. Scott Adams probably counts his hits in blocks of 20,000 just to make life easier.

But for me, tapping out a few random thoughts and ideas here on a more or less haphazard basis, it's quite a feat. Of course, it could just be that twenty thousand people have stumbled across this place by mistake and beat a hasty retreat. But I like to think at least one or two of you came here on purpose - you mad, romantic fools.

So who was that mysterious 20,000th visitor? Well, frankly I've no idea. They arrived at 14:39 and 20 seconds on Thursday 16th, having been directed here from a google search for ' "eaten mess" recipe '. This post came up fourth in the list of results for that search, so there's obviously not a lot of people out there who know how to smash up meringues and mix them with whipped cream and raspberries for a tasty and nutritious pudding. They stayed for an impressive 0 seconds and can be identified as '
user-5af0528a.wfd98.dsl.pol.co.uk', which I think is less personal than 'Keith' or 'Steve' or even 'Marion.'

I do know that Frank or Jolien or Mabel is a Mac user, with Safari 1.2 running on Mac OS X and a screen resolution of 1024x768. I know that they are based in the UK, or at least that their ISP -
Cable & Wireless Telecommunication Services Gmbh - is, even if its soubriquet suggests something more Germanic. But apart from those bare and perhaps even brutal statistics, I know nothing of them at all.

Which is a shame, because I might have sent them a prize.

Comments

Stuart MacBride said…
Congratulations James. Now you should start selling DevilDog T-shirts.
JamesO said…
I would love to sell DevilDog T-shirts, but I don't think I could afford to pay the graphic designer who came up with the logo;}#
Stuart MacBride said…
I'm sure a couple of bottles of Welsh whisky would oil the wheels...
JamesO said…
What? A couple more bottles?

Popular Posts