What shall I do with all these egg whites?

It's a perennial problem. I like to cook things that use egg yolks, or whole eggs, but the list of recipes requiring only whites is pitifully short.

So today I have been mostly making Rhubarb Ice Cream, which involves stewing 500grams of nice pink rhubarb with four tablespoons of caster sugar, then puréeing the ensuing mush until it's nice and smooth. Then bringing 375ml of milk to the boil with a split vanilla pod in it. Meanwhile whisking together five egg yolks and a hundred grams of caster sugar until they are smooth and creamy. Boiling milk and sugary eggness are brought together whiskily, then cooked gently until they coat the back of a spoon, strained and cooled. Mixed with the rhubarb smush and about 200ml of good thick double cream, chilled, then bunged in the ice cream churner.

Serve with coarsely chopped stem ginger in syrup - yum.

But I've got five egg whites to use, and r
ight now I've got an airtight container with meringues in it I made over a year ago - I was going to turn them into eaten mess but never quite got around to it. When all's said and done, I'm not all that keen on meringue anyway.

Angel Food Cake apparently uses only whites, but I've never tried making it. And besides, it doesn't sound like the sort of thing that goes with fitting into my kilt in three weeks time. Likewise Chocolate Mousse, Rich White Cake or Hazelnut Macaroons.*

Egg white is an ingredient in several cocktails, where it's used as a frothing agent. But I'm unconvinced of the wisdom of eating raw egg white when I don't know exactly where the eggs came from.

Sometimes I cook up a single egg white and give it to the dogs. I did this with the leftover egg wash from the spicy crab cakes** we had for supper last night. But five egg whites will have them farting like the world's going to end, and with all that extra methane about it might well.

So suggestions please as to what to do with the five surplus egg whites. Preferably ones which aren't banned in thirty-five states, as well as Yorkshire.

* I always thought a Macaroon was someone who was one eighth Scottish, but apparently it's someone who is a nutty almond flavoured biscuit.
** a good handful of new potatoes, boiled and peeled - I used Jersey Royals this time. Mush them up with a fork once they're cool, then mix with some white and brown crabmeat, a bit of chilli, some lemon zest, salty pepper, chopped parsley (or coriander if you've got it), some chopped onion that's been fried in butter until soft then allowed to cool, and an egg. Shape into patties, let rest in the fridge for an hour or so, then dip in egg wash and seasoned flour before frying until golden brown. Serve with freshly picked veg from the garden, and a lemon mayonnaise or a sweet chilli dipping sauce depending on your mood. And don't say I'm not good to you.

Comments

I make cocos macaroons, with half of the sugar listed in the receipe (i use a bit orange juice instead). They're a nice and light summer sweet.

Popular Posts