I should have been a lawyer

They make shedloads of money for doing shite all!

And if any of you (either of you?) who read this blog are lawyers, or are intimately involved with lawyers, just admit it. You know it's true. Lawyers make the law (see how many of them are in parliament these days), and make it so complicated that only they can help you through the minefield. Then they charge you an arm and a leg for the pleasure (plus extra for the loan of a wheelchair).

Old lawyers joke: Receipt for professional services rendered.

To: Crossing the road to wish you a good morning - 12 Guineas
To: Re-crossing the road on finding it was not you - 12 Guineas

So what has brought on this anti-legal rant? Well, I've just been sent a breakdown of the costs involved in buying a parcel of land that is officially large enough to graze one and a half sheep on. Not the extortionate sum that I have to give the farmer, mind you. That I can just about square with my conscience since all the other plots in Ceredigion are at least half as much again. No, I'm talking about the vast sums charged for the privilege of writing letters to other lawyers on my behalf. I mean, £30 just for making an electronic transfer of funds on the day of completion? My bank lets me do it for free!

I shared a flat with two law students at University. I guess I should have gone out with one of them instead of Barbara...

Next time: The joys of planning!

Comments

Stuart MacBride said…
How dare you say that about the lovely Barbara! No: whilst sharing your flat with lawyers you should have strangled them in their sleep! Cable tie round the throat and dump the bodies in a landfill site.

Much more practical.
JamesO said…
Ah, but they weren't lawyers then. Still fresh-faced and keen. Only just beginning to be seduced by the dark side. I tried everything in my power to dissuade them, to turn them to the light. But it was all in vain.

Or was it? Since I've not spoken to Alison or Katrina since graduation (and we won't say how many years ago that was) I've no idea whether they actually stayed with the law or not. Come to think of it, Katrina actually did ditch law and take up English - I remember helping her with her Anglo Saxon homework. I wonder what became of her. Friends reunited anyone...?

Popular Posts