Fame at last!

Well, OK, maybe not fame as such. Maybe not even recognition. But I have been noticed, and in a nice way.

Those of you who follow these things have probably come to my blog by way of Mr Stuart's wonderful offering. He is pretending to the world that he is a writer of crime fiction and to be fair, Cold Granite is up there with the good ones, in my humble opinion. What the readers of Halfhead probably don't realise is that Mr Stuart is only moonlighting in the crime genre. What he really does is (say it with hushed breath) Science Fiction...

What, I hear you ask, has this got to do with me? Well, if people come to my blog through Stuart's and he's masquerading as some sort of crime fiction guru, then they might reasonably be expected to think that I dally in that arena myself. If they follow the links and go to my website, then they might expect to find stuff of interest to the budding criminologist. And they might be expected to be a bit annoyed when all they actually find is a few dozen short stories that flit through the genres like shameless hussies; three eBooks of my unpublished (and some would say unpublishable) novels, none of which even knows how to spell crime fiction; and a travelogue (with a little bit in it about police procedure, I suppose).

Still, even though anyone making their tortuous way through the blogs to my site would have every reason to be annoyed, Aldo, The Mystery Dawg, made that journey and had the decency to download some stories. Then he had the decency to email me and say he enjoyed them. A complete stranger - not someone who went to my site because I told him to.

So I feel uplifted in a small way. It's not much and it probably won't get me through the cold winter nights any easier. But to Aldo I say thankyou. You are a gentleman, sir.

And to anyone else out there. Go visit the DevilDog and download some stories. They might not be crime fiction, but they're free.

Except the ones that cost money, that is. ;}

Comments

Stuart MacBride said…
Ahh, a shameless slur! I pretend no such guru-osity! It must be the beard...

Popular Posts