Wristy

Months ago, when I started on the mad quest that was rebuilding this house from scratch, I encountered a personal weakness I had not suspected. It appears that over years of abuse I have weakened my right wrist. Any heavy work results in nightly pain and daily fuzziness of the fingertips. Lately I've been doing a lot of heavy work.

The house painting goes on apace - I've now finished one gable end wall, and am moving slowly along the south-facing back wall. I'm getting quicker at dismantling, moving and rebuilding the scaffold tower. I've also worked out how to bolt it to the wall so that it doesn't wobble alarmingly at the top. It still scares the bejesus out of me to be at gutter height, but not as much as that first scary lift.

I woke very early on Sunday morning with fiery pain shooting up my arm, but by the time I'd had breakfast and walked the dogs it had passed. The day's painting and scaffold moving went well, despite it being perhaps the hottest day of the year so far. Monday morning was another early wake-up call, but again the pain had passed before I set to work. This morning however, the early agony refused to go. I knocked back a couple of ibuprofen tablets and took Haggis for a walk, but my fingers were still numb, my wrist very sore as I started painting an hour later. Fortunately by lunchtime the pain had pretty much gone, and now it's just a slight stiffness in the wrist that will hopefully get bored of bothering me soon and go away.

On the minus side, I've spent a whole week painting, and my best estimate is that there is another two weeks to go before it's all done. The weather looks set fair for at least half of that time, so I've no option but to plough on regardless. 

Hopefully this job is the last of the heavy lifting.

Comments

John R said…
"Years of abuse".

*tittering*

Popular Posts