Bliss

Plumber man came this morning and fitted the gas. Flushed all the nasty stuff out of the system too, so it's squeaky clean and super-efficient. I still haven't finished putting in the shower yet, but now that the temperature in the bathroom is a fraction above freezing, at least I can get on with the tiling. Soon it will be done. I just have to keep promising myself that.

It's remarkable how soft we become after a few years of modern living. When I was in short trousers, we stayed in a house where the only form of heating in the winter was a fireplace in each bedroom. Winters were colder back then, too. I remember one time at boarding school when the glass of water on my bedside table froze solid. A thin skim of ice come morning bells was to be expected, but all the way through was unusual.

We didn't think twice about washing in cold water either. Hardy, we were. Or maybe stupid.

Now one week of living in a house with no heating is enough to send me spiralling into despair. If the plumber hadn't turned up this morning as promised, I think I might have cried.

Thinking about the next hurdle - to whit persuading BT to honour their customer obligations - is likely to have much the same effect.

Time, I think, to go and have a shower whilst the landlord still thinks I'm only checking phone and email messages.

Comments

Stuart MacBride said…
Well done on impending showerdom!

And about time too, it was beginning to get a bit whiffy in here...
Anonymous said…
It's amazing how the little things can suddenly seem so huge.

One more step done James, then another, you'll be done before you know it.
I'll plan to travel to Wales this year, so you better get that house nice and shiny. *grin*

I'm kidding. But if you have some suggestions for places to see, I'd like to hear them. I'm a Roman and Mediaeval geek, so I already have a bunch of places with Caer (Caerlion, Caerwent, Caernarfon) plus Carmarthen and Chester, and some big castles (Caernarfon, Beaumaris, Harlech, Caerphilly, Pembroke). I plan to use Cardiff and Chester amd maybe a third place as bases and travel around from there. But I'm looking for some more old stuff and scenic landscape.

Btw, if you could get timetables for the trains in Wales (in case they're avaliable for free) and send them to me, that would be great.
highlandwriter said…
Thank the gods for water! Glad ye got moved in safely!

hw

Popular Posts