I'm still here

Just about.

Well, it looks like our plan of being in by Friday was overoptimistic in much the same way as a child's hope that the small present under the Christmas tree will be the bike he always wanted. I've asked the landlord if we can stay another fortnight here - we really can't afford a month. Still no answer as yet, but if not, they'll have to evict us. Since the landlords are the company I work for, I am expecting a little bit of leeway.

So what is taking all this time? Well, everything, to be honest. That's the problem with working on an old building. Nothing is as it should be, and a lot has been done wrong in the past.

I've been trying to take up the floorboards in the old kitchen so that I can get at the wires beneath. Sometime in the past, the old wooden planks have been replaced with nasty tongue and groove chipboard. Now. I have a pet peeve about this stuff - it's horrible and not really up to the job. But the great British Building Industry disagrees and continues to use it, mostly because it's dirt cheap. I suppose that it's just about acceptable if it's properly laid and then covered up with something else. But this stuff has been nailed down with heavy duty flooring nails, making it impossible to lift without destroying. And so more money is needed to replace it.

That's another thing that's beginning to freak me out - the sheer cost of all the little bits and pieces. I can cope with the big stuff - new boiler: £700; getting the roof fixed: £1200; shower cubicle and mixer: £600; sure it all adds up, but I can see where the money is going. All the pipework for the central heating system, and all the cable, switches, lamp fittings and other malarky for the electrics has come to almost £800 already, and that's just a half dozen cardboard boxes that keep getting in the way.

At least most of the dirty work has been done now. You can quickly grow tired of being covered in very fine plaster dust. But I've still got to knock a hole through the wall for the boiler's flue, and another for the shower waste.

So what am I doing sitting here talking to you?

soon I'll be able to bathe again!

Comments

Anonymous said…
The floor's a fine mess. No doubt
about it. But then at least that sink looks fine and dandy! ;-)

Good luck to you!
HW
Anonymous said…
Lookin' good James-you'll get there.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Popular Posts