Is that it then?

I missed the beginning of 2007, due to being asleep. Or at least semi-comatose in a snotty, headachey, miserable way. This year it's the Horse Doctor's turn for the lurgy, so I'm probably going to have to celebrate on my own. Ah well, more whisky for me.

It's been an odd year. I should be bouncing around like a happy person - after all I was shortlisted for the Debut Dagger. But since then I've heard very little about the book. I've written another one, but I can't stop myself from wondering whether that wasn't a waste of time. Sure, I like the character, and I like writing, but unless someone picks up the first one, the second is hardly likely to see the light of day. I have similar problems with Benfro as I gear up to begin writing the fourth and final installment - even if a publisher leapt on the series tomorrow, the book I'm about to write wouldn't be published until 2012, so surely I'd be better off doing something else?

I guess I ought to be excited about buying a house. It's a pretty big deal, after all. But my cynical side can see the struggle ahead just trying to make the place habitable. There's so much I want to do to it, and yet money's going to be too tight to even think about that.

It doesn't help that I've had absolutely no interest from anyone but scam artists about buying the car. I don't want to sell it anyway, but it would be nice if someone called. Then again, this is exactly the wrong time of year to try and sell a car, so I've only myself to blame.

You could be forgiven for thinking that I'm a bit depressed, if you've managed to read this far without giving up in disgust. It's not true - I'm reasonably chipper. It's just the waiting that wears me down. Waiting for the house sale to complete, waiting for someone to buy the car, waiting for my agent to call with good news (or any news for that matter - she's not big on communication), waiting to find out if a potential six months of work is going to happen or not, waiting, waiting, waiting.

Still, it could be worse. My fondue set could have exploded.*

So, the new year. I resolve nothing whatsoever for 2008. The things I would really like to happen are beyond my control; everything else is just window-dressing, or stuff I was going to do anyway. But don't let my misery dampen your festivities - have a happy and prosperous new year all of you.


* yes, that's my uncle. It was a horrid experience, but everyone's all right, apart from some bad burns to my cousin's hands.

Comments

highlandwriter said…
Happy New Year from one of the 20 or so odd folks that happily frequent your blog!

Cheers,
--highlandwriter

Popular Posts