Counting chickens

Yesterday was a good day.

Following on from Monday's rant (Monday? What the hell happened to the week?) about when and where to pitch, a slim letter landed on the mat at half past eight yesterday morning. I took one look at the loopy, adolescent handwritten address and knew at once whence it had come. Over the course of too many years, I have only ever written myself rejection letters - those self-addressed envelopes never carry good news.

But this time it was different. This time it was an offer of representation from the first agent to have read The Ballad of Sir Benfro - Book One: Dreamwalker (going to have to do something about that title).

Now this is only the first step, I realise. This is no guarantee of publication; no endless round of cocktail parties and radio interviews and foreign trips; none of the razzmatazz that Mr Stuart has endured since those nice (very nice) people at HarperCollins decided they liked him. But damn, it's a start.

I spent most of yesterday wandering around with an idiot grin on my face. Pity poor Barbara - I must have been insufferable to live with.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to write to my agent-to-be explaining how I spent an evening in the company of Jane Johnson, and how it might be worth pointing my fantasy epic in her direction.

Then I have to start thinking about books three and four.

Comments

Stuart MacBride said…
Though I have already expressed my congratulations in private, let me do so again in a more public forum – Well done strange person who smells of cheese and terriers!

Was this the revised Benfro (post Agent Phil), or a previous incarnation? Enquiring minds and all that…

This time next year, you can give up the day job and… Oh, yea ;}#

Now go pop some moderately-priced fizzy wine and celebrate – you deserve it.

Hurrah!
JamesO said…
I did the fizzy thing last night - a nice Californian rose number. Yum.

Agent Phil never got to see Sir Benfro. I sent him Abundance, and then I sent him Head.

Sometimes Terriers smell of cheese.
Stuart MacBride said…
They might do, but you should be proud of smelling of BOTH!
YAYAYAYAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats, James!! You ROCK!!
I had to come back and do a happy dance.

*happy dance* *jiggin'* *more happy dancin'* *more jiggin'*
JamesO said…
I'm trying very hard not to be smug. It's not easy, I can tell you.

Thanks everyone, for being happy on my behalf. Now for the next big step - finding a publisher...
Congrats, or in German which tends to be a bit formal: Herzliche Glückwünsche.

I wanted to see Wales anyway, so if there's canapes, I'll come over. :)
Anonymous said…
Finding the publisher is the agent's job. Congrats!! May your career start with a bang and keep the bestsellers coming!
Anonymous said…
Congratulations!!!! What good news to get shortly before a vacation!
John Rickards said…
Staggeringly late to the party, but I'm still catching up on everything post-BCon. Way to go, James!

Popular Posts