Might get sacked...

But might not.

I am at work, which is an odd sensation for me. I am used to working at home, delivering into contracts as and when my expertise is needed. For the last few months, however, my expertise has been needed very little, which has meant my paycheck at the end of the month has also been very little. So small indeed last month that it had to be put in an incubator. Even then, it didn't survive.

So I have been looking for something a bit more regular, and before you could say 'print up a new CV, the lies in the old one are out of date', along has come a job. Of sorts.

It's a temporary post - might last six months, might last three* - and it's hardly tapping into my core skills, involving as it does mainly filing and admin. But it pays well enough, and I seem to have fairly wide internet access. At least for now.

Which means I can bring you all my good news - foreshadowed by Dan Hatadi in the comments to the last post, and which I was frustrated at not being able to tell the world.

My novel The Book of Souls has been shortlisted for the CWA Debut Dagger awards! That's two novels shortlisted in as many years! Whoop Whoop and dance a happy dance!

I almost didn't submit Souls. I'm frustrated that I still meet the eligibility criteria - i.e not yet published - even after last year's surprise. But here we are, a year on, and the whole gamut of emotions is running like a broken tap again. Only this time I don't think I'll be able to make it to the awards ceremony, which is a pain. Quite apart from the cost, it would be hard to persuade my new boss to give me the two days off necessary to get from Aberystwyth to London and back, especially as I'm already booked in for Harrogate the following week.

Ah well. If I win, they can bring the dagger up to Yorkshire and give it to me there;}#

* and I might be out on my ear tomorrow if they're monitoring my web use.**
** and no, BT still haven't connected my phone. They now say Monday 9th June, but I no longer believe a word of it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congrats on the nomination James!
Unknown said…
Woo-Hoo! I've got everything crossable, crossed for you.

Hopefully I'll be able to buy you a celebratory pint at Harrogate!
Anonymous said…
Congrats! Awesome!!

HW
Stuart MacBride said…
Well done, that bearded man. Now back to work with you before anyone notices!
angie said…
Yay, you! You betcha it's happy dance time. Don't worry too much about any of it - last year's winner had entered multiple years.

Ooh, Stuart's right - back to work before you get found out!
Congrats and good luck.

Can't hurt to add a written version to the verbal one two weeks ago. ;)
Sandra Ruttan said…
Congratulations! I'm delighted we can finally publicly dance the happy dance for you.
Anonymous said…
Well done, James

Stuart told me the great news.

Awesome, and I hope it is your turn this year.


Agent Phil
John R said…
Well done, old boy!

Popular Posts