I don't know whether to laugh or cry

So I'll probably do both. Either that or ignore it altogether.

Seems the BBC is creating a reality TV show where 'celebrities' vie with one another to write a crime novel. They've even got Minette Walters to judge the efforts, and Pan MacMillan lined up to publish the winner.

Somehow I can't see the internal struggle as the author stares blankly at his computer screen for twelve hours a day making good television. So instead, a bunch of people who really should be doing something better with their time will get an easy intro to the kind of research experiences most of us struggling nobody writers would kill for. And the lucky bastard who wins is guaranteed a publishing deal, too.

Still, I mustn't be bitter. I'm sure these giants of the entertainment industry will be gifted and skilful writers, and it's all for Charidee, so it must be good, right?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Look at it this way James, the results should be, if nothing else, entertaining.
Stuart MacBride said…
Two of my pet peeves in one: cheap crappy television and 'celebrity' books.

What great times we live in.

Popular Posts