There are probably more painful places to be bitten

But right now I can't think of anything worse than a mosquito bite on the tip of the elbow.

After almost three weeks without rain, yesterday afternoon a thick sea fog rolled in from the coast, cooling the air and damping everything down. To put this in context, the sea is fifteen miles away and a thousand feet below us, so that's quite an impressive fog.

It didn't last long though, oozing back West as the afternoon heat cooled with evening's arrival. But it did bring just enough moisture to wake up the biting insects. Normally we wouldn't start being bothered by them until mid-May at the earliest, but our crazy weather patterns have woken them early from their slumbers and whatever dreams of discomfort they dream.

And last night, one of them bit me on the right elbow, pumping its anti-coagulant venom deep into my skin. This morning it's an itchy red blotch in a place that is all too easy to scratch. Normally I don't much react to mosquito bites, but every so often some mutant midge with extra-strength toxin has me itching like a trench soldier. Antihistamine doesn't seem to work, or at least hasn't kicked in yet. It's taking all my will power not to scratch.

I need distractions.

Comments

Sandra Ruttan said…
I guarantee that if you bang your head in to a wall repeatedly you'll forget about the bite.

Bites are always bad on a joint, though, because it's harder for them to heal because you keep moving the skin. Not like just on the leg somewhere, that you can bandage and let be.
I hate mosquito bites on my feet. Especially the inner side of the foot, where the arch begins. They drive me insane.

Popular Posts