Could have been nice

Superstition's a funny old thing. I blithely walk under ladders, think nothing of treading on the cracks in the pavement, rarely throw spilt salt over my shoulder and am more than happy to whistle whilst on board ship. But I also unfailingly tap myself on the head and say 'touch wood' when voicing something I don't want to happen, and whilst I read the horrorscopes mostly for their entertainment value, there's a part of me deep inside that wishes some of their good fortune might come my way.

And I don't like to talk about things that are hanging in the balance, just in case Lady Luck decides to give me the finger once more, as she has done so often in the past.

So I kept the latest mad hopeful scheme mostly to myself. I told Mr Stuart, of course, so I can always blame him. And I think I might have mentioned it to Sandra when we met up a few weeks ago, so again the fault may be hers.

You see, the Horse Doctor and I were trying to buy a house. Not any house, mind you. This was a pink house in Llanddewi Brefi, which some people will find tittersome in itself. It was also a house in need of a great deal of renovation - a project into which I could get my teeth firmly stuck, so to speak. I have spent the weeks since our return from the great Canadian Skiing Adventure trying to sort out the finance that would allow us to complete the deal, and this morning I received a phone call from the mortgage broker giving us the go-ahead.

About five minutes after I received a phone call from the estate agents (realtors to you American folks) telling me that someone else had made an offer. And that offer was somewhat higher than I had budgeted.

As I am prone to saying when things don't go my way: bollocks!

I've ranted here before about the insane cost of housing in these parts. At least the council has dropped its ludicrous unitary development plan and looks like it might be prepared to build a few more houses now, but it's still virtually impossible to find anything rural that reflects a local wage. Or even two local wages. Renovating an old place is likely to be the only way we'll get anywhere, but even derelict houses command stupid prices these days. And it's best I don't get started on building plots.

Ah well, back to the drawing board then.

I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Comments

Sandra Ruttan said…
I'm sure it was Stuart's fault. He's trying to offload the book 4 curse on you.

Would I do anything like that? Sweet, innocent me?
JamesO said…
Sweet? Innocent?

I must have been the other Sandra that I met then.
Was that a picture of the house? Because I wouldn't call that pink. I'd call that brazen hussy district lighting red.

We were talking about house prices in the office this morning, where my project manager intended to bid on an abandoned house in Leeds at an auction on Wednesday. The list price was £100,000 and it went for £265,000 (unsurprisingly this was way over his limit).

As I rent, I'm afraid I'm one of those people crossing fingers for a housing market crash to bring the prices down to a sensible level.
I'm with Vincent. Hussy red for sure.
Sandra Ruttan said…
And I thought you said you weren't drinking.

And yes, that is red-light-district red.
JamesO said…
Yeah, it's red, I agree. But somehow saying the pink house in Llanddewi Brefi fits in more with the whole Little Britain, Only Gay in the Village thing.

I thought it was funny, at least.

And Vincent, I rent too, and I pray for a time of housing crash, negative equity and repossession sales. Strangely this doesn't go down very well with my home-owning chums.
Chaser said…
Poop.

I'm selling my house, but I suspect that's not helpful.
JamesO said…
Yeah, I think the commute might be a bit of a bitch.

But I appreciate the thought;}#
Stuart MacBride said…
But the plus side is that the pink house was VERY close to the road. And the dogs and cats will be much safer somewhere nice and rural.

So really, the curse of Book 4 (which has just got infinitely fucking worse) has helped your long-term happiness!

Popular Posts