Hootenanny

OK, so it's a bit early, but you take what you can get down here in darkest Wales.

Tonight the Horse Doctor and I are doing the cultural bit, and acting as ambassadors for the old country. Yes, we're going to Aberystwyth Arts Centre for a concert. Hooray. And not any old concert, but Blazin' Fiddles - Scotland's finest teuchter band.

Actually I've got mixed feeling about this. I love well-played Scottish folk music and reels, but the thought of an evening spent listening to massed fiddle players is worrisome, to say the least. I've been subjected to Strathspey and Reels society meetings - a hundred amateur violinists screeching their way through Scotland the Brave is enough to make a grown man gouge out his own eyeballs and use them as earplugs. This will hopefully be better - a few professional musicians wowing me with their skill.

But teuchter music is for dancing to, not sitting in a comfy seat and tapping one's toes. A concert seems to me the wrong venue - this should be a ceilidh. Ah well, I shall report howit goes.

Comments

Popular Posts