Getting Started

Well, my good friend Mr Stuart has persuaded me to join in the blogging lark. So who am I? What do I do? What could I possibly have to say that would be of any interest to the outside world?

Good questions. As to who I am? I'm a part-time agricultural consultant in mid Wales, part time writer of unpublished fiction. Actually, that's more of an answer to the question what do I do, isn't it? Not so easy this finding things to say.

So what is SirBenfro? Or Sir Benfro as it should be written. Well, Sir Benfro is the Welsh for Pembrokeshire, a small county in the extreme south west of Wales. It is also the name of the principle character in my latest work of fiction, the aptly titled Ballad of Sir Benfro, which is a four part epic fantasy currently gestating in the dank, warm depths of my mind.

Now normally in these epic fantasy sword and sourcery type books (of which I have read more than my fair share, good, indifferent and appalling), the dragons are the baddies. Or at least bit part monsters with nothing much good to do. They also breathe fire, fly, horde treasure and lay waste to farmland. But it doesn't have to be so. What if dragons were sad, pathetic creatures, hiding out in the far-flung parts of the kingdom trying hard not to be noticed by the men who would hunt them down and slaughter them for sport? What if they had a rich mythology, in which they had once been proud masters of the sky, skilled magicians and great bards? What if breathing fire was considered the most serious of social faux pas - just not something we do anymore, don't you see?

In short, what if the dragons were the underdogs?

That would be something a bit more interesting. Or at least I hope it will be. Book one of the four-part series is at a fairly mature stage. Book two is undergoing it's second major redraft and books three and four are little idea-foetuses kicking away in my brain-womb as I type this blog in distraction of doing any real work.

So now you know a little about me and what I do. Dare you comment?

Comments

Stuart MacBride said…
I dare!

Good to see you got on the blogwagon trail - next stop nirvana (or other grungy guitar bands that look like they need a jolly good wash and a shave).

If nothing else it gets past all that no email thingie!

Now you must tell tales out of school about your terriers and cat.

;}#

Popular Posts