New Girlfriend

I seem to be getting a lot of attention from someone called Julia at the moment. I've lost count of the number of times she's emailed me, but every message is exactly the same:



Hello, im Julia.
I found you in my friends list. 
I'm guess I added you at the one of social networks.
I live in New York, USA.
Search for new friends. like to travel and like visit new places.
I wanna visit UK again. 

email: info@julianewyork76.com 

I hope to hear from you and see more pictures soon.
Kisses. Have a nice day and take care. 

Julia


My email reader won't download images unless I tell it to, which I haven't in this instance, but I'm sure there's a very nice picture of a pretty young blonde thing to go with this rather illiterate message. I know this is spam, even if my spam filter is having a hard time learning to recognise it. What I can't quite understand is what its purpose is, other than to irritate the hell out of me. There's no link to click; the email address isn't even embedded as a mailto: command. It doesn't seem to be trying to sell me anything, and any possibility that I might have fallen for the 'friends list' angle fell apart as soon as I received the second identical message, quite apart from the fact that the email headers have been doctored to make it look like it's come from me anyway.


I guess whoever sent it could be fishing for email addresses to sell on to other spammers, but they've got my address already. And if you're buying mailing lists at the dodgy end of the market, you're hardly going to complain if most of them turn out to be false.


The penis-enhancement emails that are as much a part of daily life as bread and cheese I can understand. Send a million, and even if only .001% respond, you've still got a thousand hits to your website. There are plenty of people out there stupid enough to believe that a pill will make their willy as big as a stallion's. It's a numbers game that makes perfect sense if you're trying to sell something or trick people into giving away their life secrets. But this, I just don't get. I'm almost tempted to send Julia a message, perhaps accompanied by a photo of George Clooney or Brad Pitt to let her know what I really look like.


Almost, but not quite.

Comments

John R said…
"Your pictures are so awesome, almost like Brad Pitt! Let's meet up."

"Oh no, there's been a problem with my credit card. Can you forward me the money for a plane ticket, and I'll pay you back in cash the moment I'm there? Btw, here's another photo of me in a low-cut top."

Not that I'm saying I've been involved in scamming people this way myself, but let's just say I look mighty fine in my frilly undergarments.
Anonymous said…
Hi,

I've had about 20 of the exact same Julia emails now, they have her email address in them. So I put the first line of her email in Google Search to see if anyone else is getting them. It's a clever one isn't it. She sounds so lonely, eventually you start feeling you should contact the poor girl to help her find her frend. Thanks for bloggin it, confirms they are a con trick of some sort. No dounbt whatever happens if you email her back is not nice.
JamesO said…
Thanks John. Now I have to go and wash that image out of my brain with bleach and wire wool.
Anonymous said…
You could post the email on 419eater, the scambaiting forum...then "Julia" would doubtless recieve an email from a kindhearted and well-off but rather guillible man, one Arthur Daley...and the fun would begin.

(I liked the one where they marooned two scammers in a warzone, myself.)
Anonymous said…
And there's me think I was special :(.
AWB said…
Blimey, women; my cast-off's get everywhere. Now that I've tracked you down, I'm sure it's your round from the last time we had a pint. Beard is passable, but Wales? That's west of Brissle isn't it and I'm not sure that I've met anyone from that parish. You'll be pleased to know that the long straight road along by the Forest sill has the scars of the GTV's under carriage, valliantly trying to support the occupants after an evening of Rayments IPA or Abbot.
JamesO said…
I still remember trying to crack a ton on that road. And they say young men are irresponsible drivers.

That pint might have to be in Scotland, as that's where I'm headed soon. Or maybe next time I'm in Suffolk. That's where they make Abbot after all.

And Julia seems to have ditched me. It must have been the beard.
AWB said…
It wasn't the issue of trying to get to 100mph in the Alfa, it was the all important matter of trying to get the thing back down from that speed before the corner, some 10 miles ahead of the first braking attempt.

Going north across the border is always fraught with difficulties; namely language, culture and a diferent way of life - still the Suffolk folk can be quite friendly in small groups. Back in Essex, we're currently enjoying the annual invasion of cable knits and yes, beards for the Chappel beer festival

http://www.earm.co.uk/events/beerfest.php
JamesO said…
Alas, I'm going to have to miss that - great though it sounds. And beer festivals aren't all cable knits and beards, you know. Women go to them as well. OK, so most of them wear cable knits and have beards, but not all. Trust me, after years of organising the Great Grampian Beer Festival in Aberdeen, I know these things.
Anonymous said…
its not necessary to me. Only seek new friends. Dont write who does not want. You have already bothered. Julia
Anonymous said…
Julia came to me today. Well, I mean the same original email reported back then. She/He must be an awfully lonely scammer, but as said, its a numbers game. Its why there is so much money in real advertising too; Put up enough ads of any crazy or otherwise thing and a proportion of responses will come. The trick I guess, as with so many things, is getting the balance right.

Popular Posts