Bugger

Well, here we are, the Horse Doctor and I, enjoying a well-earned break in Whistler, BC. There's snow a-plenty (perhaps too much, but it would be churlish to complain); the slopes are great; and there aren't too many people about to clutter up the place. Our hotel's not bad either, in the great scheme of things, so all in all we're having a great time.

But... and there's always a but...

My trusty old Acer laptop, coming up for six years old, and upon which I have written as many novels, has given up the ghost. Annoyingly, it was working just fine when we were at the Farm, depositing dogs into the tender care of my little brother, but for some reason it didn't like the transatlantic flight, or the bus journey up from Vancouver. When I tried to switch it on here, it just flickered a little, hummed a merry tune and then refused to do anything else. There's always the hope that it will come to life when I get home, and if not, I can tinker with it and see if I can fix it. But as it is, I've had to lug a heavy weight with additional cables and paraphernalia almost halfway around the world for nothing. Bah.


And as if that wasn 't bad enough, I seem to have developed an infection in my left eyelid. Fortunately it's not bad enough to make life truly miserable, and I can still wear contacts for short periods, which is essential for skiing. 


On the other hand, the Horse Doctor decided at the last minute to bring her laptop, so I can type this gibberish for you to read, and it will take a lot more than a sore eye to stop me enjoying my holiday. Not even the timeshare salesmen can dampen my mood.

Comments

Awww, sorry about the eyelid! And you enjoy yourself, with or without the churlish laptop (it baffles me that appliances can be so grumpy, when we need them (we think) the most).

Popular Posts