Goodbye and good riddance

It's traditional on this day, or in the run-up to it, to do a review of the year and marvel at the highlights and changes that have occurred. Well, quite frankly this year has been a bit of a bastard. I'll not be sad to see 2008 go, and I hope that 2009 will be a lot better

In a way things didn't start too badly. After eight years of trying, the Horse Doctor and I finally managed to buy a place of our own here in Wales, although we had to mortgage our souls to do it. The house has turned out to be a mixed blessing, however. The market has fallen by about 15% since we bought and is likely to fall even lower, but we did manage to buy at a significant discount, and it's a fixer-upper worth a good deal more once all the work's done. It won't be easy to shift in the current market though - more of which anon.

And of course the new house was the end of Buddug - she'd only been there a month when the road claimed her. I miss her even now - my shadow for six years and my biggest critic.

that's not how you spell Coon cat

Then there was the phone debacle, in which BT proved itself beyond a shadow of a doubt the most useless organisation known to mankind. Will it go bust in the recession? Will it buggery. If there was any justice in the world it would, but as we know, justice is just an illusion.

It's not all been doom and gloom, of course. I managed to get myself shortlisted for the Debut Dagger again, which I guess is quite an achievement. And whilst I didn't win, the shortlisting brought me and my novel to the attention of a major publisher. Unfortunately, whilst one particular editor was singing my praises from the rooftops, the buying committee were less enthusiastic. Having re-read the manuscript, I can't say I blame them - the rewrite reads like something done by someone with a lot else on his mind, which of course was the case.

Because 2008, and in particular July 26 2008, will be forever etched in my mind. And three o'clock on the morning of Sunday July 27, too, since BT are such a bunch of useless tossers. That was when the local constabulary woke me from my slumbers to tell me my parents had been killed in a car crash.

mum and dad just before they got married, 1961

So you'll forgive me if I'm not sorry to see the back of 2008. It can go in a box marked 'never again' and be buried deep in the bowels of the earth, along with the radioactive waste and stuff.

We're having a few friends around tonight, and setting fire to the large mound of rubbish that has accumulated from clearing the garden. I intend to drink just enough to be merry and welcome in 2009 the pagan way. I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing you on the other side.

It's got to be better than this one.

Comments

Happy New Year, James.

Yeah, your 2008 best goes where no one can find it again. Mine was better, though that doesn't mean there won't be a way for 2009 to improve further. :)
Anonymous said…
I hear ya James. 2008 started out with me digging me my way up from a divorce that hit me much harder than I ever expected it to and ended with me moving to a new state trying to figure out how bills are going to get paid, but happy overall.

I'm glad of the changes I made, but I'm happy the year is over.
highlandwriter said…
Happy New Year to you and The Horse Doctor, James.

I hope the new year is much brighter and kinder to you than 2008.

:-)
Anonymous said…
Here is wishing you a much happier year!

Popular Posts