Always the bridesmaid

Well, I didn't win this year's debut dagger award. That honour went to Amer Anwar and the best of luck to him.

Neither did I get highly commended, but let's not beat about the bush here, it's the winning that counts. So I am deeply disappointed. Again.

Actually, that's not true. Sure, I'd have liked to have won, but just being shortlisted is a huge boost, and doing it two years in a row should make my calling card that little bit bigger than everyone else's. I wasn't able to go to the bash this year - even if I could have afforded it, the new job wouldn't have been able to give me the time off. So it's not as if I was sitting there with my heart in my mouth as they made the announcement. Thanks to the joys of BT I didn't even find out until this morning. Here's hoping that when next year's competition comes around I will no longer be eligible.

Meanwhile the de-ghostification of the novel comes on apace. I'm about three quarters of the way through, and hope to have it done at least in rough draft form by next Thursday, when I'm heading north to Harrogate. On the other hand it's the Horse Doctor's birthday tomorrow (no, I'm not going to tell you how old she is) and we're having a party. So that pretty much wipes out any chance of writing this evening or tomorrow.

More midnight oil to burn. A pity it's so bloody expensive these days.

Comments

Unknown said…
Commiserations on not winning James, but you really should take something from the fact that you have reached the short list twice. There is obviously something about your writing that captures the judge’s eye /imagination, which says to me that the only thing standing in your way at the moment is time. It will happen it’s just not the right time now.

Wish the Horse Doctor Happy Birthday, and I hope you both have a great weekend, even if it hasn’t been started in the best vein.

Anyhoo, winner or not, I’ll still buy you that drink I promised next week.

Popular Posts