The Frogs Are Having Sex (Again)

It was the seventeenth of March last year when I first noticed the magic of spring. This year things have kicked off a little earlier. Odd, because this time last week the whole area was under a foot of snow. But by Tuesday the rain had washed it all away. I thought it was a little on the cold side, and those streams and puddles must have been icy, but when love is in the air, nothing can stop the frenzy.

don't drink the water

This particular pool is not a good choice for things herpetological. It tends to dry out as the seasons progress. Since it's part of the daily dogwalk, I was able to monitor the progress from spawn to tadpole. Sadly none of the thousands made it to full froginess - their dried bodies littered the dusty ground in May and June.

after the orgy

Still, maybe this year it will be wetter - this is Wales, after all. And if not, then there's plenty of other places where the little croakers can thrive around here.


Comments

Chaser said…
Ok, I have nothing to say about frogs, but damn those pinor noir grapes look good.

Just having a food moment. Sorry.
Sandra Ruttan said…
Shouldn't there be a PG label on this post at the top or something?
JamesO said…
Lisa, the pinot's not a good eating grape. But squeeze it and ferment the juice a little...

And Sandra, is that PG as in tea, or parental guidance? I feel it is one of my roles in life to make life uncomfortable for parents - that's why I taught my niece to say 'pub' when she was a toddler.

Popular Posts